Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Middle Eastern Twist on an American Classic


I like to make a Chicken Roast from time to time. I find the hearty meal to be a great source of a lot of essential proteins, carbs, fats and vitamins that make me feel balanced and healthy. The people at Findlay Market's Colonel De suggested a few spices to zest up my typical roast:

Spice Rub for Chicken
Fresh Ground Anise
Methi or Fenugreek Leaves (not seeds)
Lemon Zest
Olive Oil

I also add Star Anise to the outside of the chicken, and add more Methi and Olive Oil to homemade, toasted bread cubes that I use for stuffing.

I line the bottom of my roast pan with Celery, Carrots, Red Potatoes, Onion Slices and Whole Garlic. I add a little Curry, Ground Anise and Olive Oil to these veggies.

So that makes a great dinner, but there is so much chicken left over for just the two of us. So I separate the rest of the chicken meat from the chicken carcass. I cover the chicken carcass with water, add the rest of the veggies and a whole onion. I simmer this uncovered for 3 to 4 hours.

I typically create some homemade noodles and add to the final broth (along with the rest of the chicken meat). Along with the spices you have an interesting and homey twist on the classic Chicken Noodle Soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment