Monday, February 13, 2012

Fermentation Projects 1-3



I bought a Perfect Pickler with a air valve to safely expel gas and not let bad air in and rot your food. You can find it at: http://www.perfectpickler.com.

Fermentation #1: Red Kraut with Apple, Carrot and Ginger
A nice blend of healthy fruits and vegetables — I kind of wonder if there is a "sweeter" version of this. What is a better recipe for red kraut? I dig red kraut over regular kraut.

Fermentation #2: Red Kraut with Carraway Seeds
I made it the same night, I had so much cabbage I had to make a second batch.

Fermentation #3: Earl Grey Kombucha
I bought some locally made komucha, brewed up some tea and added sugar and I waited a few weeks (it's winter, I had to place my jar on top of the heater vent).



Ruby Rathskeller Kraut
Makes 2 Quarts

This is a deep ruby red, sweet, sour, and savory batch. Now is the time of year to make for the holidays. I took this batch to my local homebrew club meeting. It was hailed as a perfect complement to beer and rich foods. — Recipe by B. Hettig

Use red cabbage and follow the basic recipe on pages 8 & 9 in the Perfect Pickler Instruction-Recipe Booklet with these additions:

red cabbage 5-1/2 lbs. finely shredded
allspice powder 1 TBS
peppercorns, whole 1 TBS slightly cracked
gingerroot 1 TBS freshly grated
bay leaves 4 whole


1
Prep the cabbage and place in a large bowl.

2
Combine the allspice, peppercorns, and ginger with the shredded cabbage.

3
Review pages 8 and 9 of the Perfect Pickler Instruction - Recipe Booklet. At step 6 load the kraut to about three-quarters up the jar. Then add the bay leaves carefully placing in the glass halfway up the jar. I use chopsticks or a bread knife to pull away the kraut. Position the leaves so the stems are pointing down and pressed against the glass. Once they are positioned equidistant around the jar, carefully push the kraut down and into the walls to fix them into position. Continue to fill the jar and complete the directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment